The newest and perhaps most unusual City of Snoqualmie Landmark is a wooden electric interurban car.The City of Snoqualmie Landmark Commission approved the nomination of car 523 to the Register at a meeting on January 25.
Built by St. Louis Car in 1907, Car 523 entered service between Seattle and Tacoma in February 1908. The Puget Sound Electric Railway operated electric trains between Seattle and Tacoma from 1902 through 1928. Much of the line was energized with power from Snoqualmie Falls. Car 523 is the last known surviving Seattle-Tacoma electric interurban car, and originally served as a combination coach/parlor/observation car.
Car 523 was donated to the The Northwest Railway Museum in September 2017 and a $11,000 grant from 4Culture funded its move from Petaluma, California to Snoqualmie, Washington. The Museum prepared and submitted the landmark nomination last Fall; this was the Commission’s first meeting since. To read more about the nomination, click here.